Habitat reduces the cost of new homes by using:
- modest designs
- donated materials
- volunteer labour
- minimal marketing expenses
- all mortgage payments received by homeowners are reinvested back into the program, thus helping more families in the future
Will Our Family Qualify?
In order to qualify for this program, partner families must be able to:
- demonstrate their need
- be able to carry a mortgage (stable household income)
- be considered “Low-Income” according to Saskatchewan Housing Corporation guidelines.
- contribute 500 hours of “sweat equity”
How Do We Apply?
- Every year we hold information meetings to explain the process. The 2017 Meeting will be held Tuesday, September 12th at 7:00pm at our Habitat for humanity board room on Marquis road.
- Submit your email address to be notified of the next information session. Your email will not be used for any other purpose.
- At the sessions application forms are available.
- A selection committee reviews the applications.
- Selection committee members meet with qualified applicants in their existing residence.
- The selection committee recommends to the board of directors which families should become homeowners.
- Recommendations are based primarily on each family’s need for safe affordable housing.
- Selected families must complete 500 volunteer hours with Habitat before moving into their home.
- The first year in the home is ‘rent-to-own’.