Habitat reduces the cost of new homes by using:
- modest designs
- donated materials
- volunteer labour
- minimal marketing expenses
- all mortgage payments received by homeowners are reinvested back into the program, thus helping more families in the future.
- Utilizing funds raised in our Restore, by recycling and selling used furniture and building materials.
Will Our Family Qualify?
In order to qualify for this program, partner families must be able to:
- demonstrate their need and be willing to partner
- be able to carry a mortgage (stable household income)
- be considered “Low-Income” according to Saskatchewan Housing Corporation guidelines.
- contribute 500 hours of “sweat equity”
How Do We Apply?
- Every year we hold a family information meetings to explain the process. Applications are also available by contacting our director at email@example.com
- Annually a selection committee review the applications.
- Selection committee members meet with qualified applicants in their existing residence.
- The selection committee recommends to the board of directors which families should become homeowners.
- Recommendations are based primarily on each family’s need for safe, affordable housing.
- Selected families must complete 500 volunteer hours with Habitat before moving into their home.
- The first year in the home is ‘rent-to-own’.
- Homes are then sold and mortgaged by Habitat at zero interest. Mortgage payments are adjusted annually to 25-30% of household income.