The next family information meeting will be Tuesday, September 18th at 6:00pm. Taking place in our habitat board room at 911 Marquis road, Prince Albert. All new family must be on time and in attendance to be considered for our 2018 family selection process.
Habitat reduces the cost of new homes by using:
- modest designs
- donated materials
- volunteer labour
- minimal management and marketing expenses.
- Building on donated land or affordable in-fill lots.
- all mortgage payments received by homeowners are reinvested back into the program, thus helping more families in the future.
- Utilizing funds raised in our Restore.
Will Our Family Qualify?
- Families must be considered Low-Income according to the current Saskatchewan Housing Corporation guidelines.
- Have consistent household income, and demonstrate financial responsibility.
- Be willing to complete 500 volunteer hours within 24 months with the help of 5 friends and family members.
- Be open to the location and housing style of Habitat’s choice (unless physical limitations apply).
How Do We Apply?
Every year we hold a family information meetings to explain the process. Applications are also available by contacting our director at firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Expect?
- Annually the selection committee review the applications.
- Selection committee members meet with qualified applicants in their existing residence.
- The selection committee recommends to the board of directors which families should become homeowners.
- Recommendations are based primarily on each family’s need for safe, affordable housing.
- Selected families must complete their hours prior to moving into a home.
- The first year in the home is ‘rent-to-own’.
- Homes are sold to our partner families and mortgaged by Habitat at zero interest. Mortgage payments are adjusted annually to 25% of household income. Families will continue to share this income information for the life of the mortgage (up to 25 years).
- Homes are built with the help of our donors and volunteers, on average from application to move-in families will wait 24 months.